I have been dehumanized and detained in the shadow prison called VCBR for years now. It is an expensive scheme to house away those the public doesn’t care about. It’s a fake treatment center that continues to operate as the prison it is. Based on their own public record, in 2016 they spent 16.6 million dollars on security and 4.2 million on treatment. VCBR is still always understaffed, and this is why residents don’t get proper outside recreation. Now they are building a second facility right next to this one. How do they plan to staff a new facility when they can’t keep the old one staffed? If Virginia were true to treatment, it would be 18-24 months while serving your time, not afterwards.
Our vision for a just future
1. Abolish pre-crime preventative detention laws
2. Free our friends and loved ones from dehumanizing labels
3. Realign our justice system with the values of restoration and reintegration
Just Future Project is a new initiative focused on challenging pre-crime preventative detention laws. We are a people-driven grassroots advocacy campaign dedicated to building a movement of community members demanding an end to indefinite detention regimes.
Why Is This Important?
Pre-crime preventative detention systems are a dangerous departure from the traditional values of our legal system.
We believe in justice, that persons who have caused harm may be held accountable for their actions. But justice also demands proportionality and due process, elements essential to distinguish justice from mere vengeance. The goal of any true system of justice must be restoration and re-integration, not the perpetual containment and incapacitation that have come to define the U.S. criminal legal system.
- In Memoriam: Lives Lost While Imprisoned After Their Release Date in Kansas on
- Texas Coronavirus Advocacy Letter to Gov. Abbott on
- Texas Uses Failed Private Prison to Hold Civilly Committed Sex Offenders on
- In Memoriam: Lives Lost While Imprisoned After Their Release Date in Illinois on
- Shadow Prisoner Stabbed 14 Times at VCBR Facility on