Uncommon perspective: A woman writes about life on the sex offense registry. Found on the internet, four interesting essays by Sonia Van den Broek – let’s hope she is well and thriving. Have a look! -Bill Dobbs, The Dobbs Wire CounterPunch | July 27, 2012 The Self-Identity of a Sex Offender By Sonia Van den Broek Excerpts: People are constantly changing their self-identities, either to project the desired image or to gain personal growth. The men and women on sex offender probation have no choice about their identities. They are sex offenders, solely and clearly. Questions…
Our vision for a just future
1. Abolish pre-crime preventative detention laws
2. Free our friends and loved ones from dehumanizing labels
3. Realign our justice system with the values of restoration and reintegration
Just Future Project is a new initiative focused on challenging pre-crime preventative detention laws. We are a people-driven grassroots advocacy campaign dedicated to building a movement of community members demanding an end to indefinite detention regimes.
Why Is This Important?
Pre-crime preventative detention systems are a dangerous departure from the traditional values of our legal system.
We believe in justice, that persons who have caused harm may be held accountable for their actions. But justice also demands proportionality and due process, elements essential to distinguish justice from mere vengeance. The goal of any true system of justice must be restoration and re-integration, not the perpetual containment and incapacitation that have come to define the U.S. criminal legal system.
- In Memoriam: Lives Lost While Imprisoned After Their Release Date in Kansas on
- Texas Coronavirus Advocacy Letter to Gov. Abbott on
- Texas Uses Failed Private Prison to Hold Civilly Committed Sex Offenders on
- In Memoriam: Lives Lost While Imprisoned After Their Release Date in Illinois on
- Shadow Prisoner Stabbed 14 Times at VCBR Facility on