I got a letter from Tom who has spent over 7 years at VCBR. Every time he reached phase 3, he would be demoted back to phase 2 claiming “thinking errors” which meant he didn’t agree with some of the misrepresentations that the “therapists” said. As long as you agree with everything they say about us, they are fine, but if you disagree, you are written up and demoted. Their salary and the viability of the institution depends on keeping as many residents as possible.
Our vision for a just future
1. Abolish pre-crime preventative detention laws
2. Free our friends and loved ones from dehumanizing labels
3. Realign our justice system with the values of restoration and reintegration
Just Future Project is a new initiative focused on challenging pre-crime preventative detention laws. We are a people-driven grassroots advocacy campaign dedicated to building a movement of community members demanding an end to indefinite detention regimes.
Why Is This Important?
Pre-crime preventative detention systems are a dangerous departure from the traditional values of our legal system.
We believe in justice, that persons who have caused harm may be held accountable for their actions. But justice also demands proportionality and due process, elements essential to distinguish justice from mere vengeance. The goal of any true system of justice must be restoration and re-integration, not the perpetual containment and incapacitation that have come to define the U.S. criminal legal system.
- Merry on In Memoriam: Lives Lost While Imprisoned After Their Release Date in Minnesota
- DAV on Shadow Prisoner Stabbed 14 Times at VCBR Facility
- Donna on Victory in Supreme Court of Virginia against out-of-control prosecution
- Jennifer Layne on VCBR Coronavirus Outbreak Prompts Virginia’s National Guard to Take Action
- Merry on Virginia Lawmakers Call Shadow Prisons “Appalling”