A guard at VBCBR verbally abused me. I brought the incident to the notice of the administration. It was under investigation according to a written document which I received from the Director’s office. While a case is being investigated, the 2 parties are not to communicate at all. The officer named in the accusation came to search my room. I told him he shouldn’t be there. When the guard noticed me leaning against the door frame as he talked, the group of officers “took me down.” I was put in isolation for a week and incurred a very serious finger infection which the doctor said couldn’t have occurred just from banging it against the room’s lock (as the guards said.) I was told there was no investigation. However, my fiancé, had a copy of the document and faxed her copy back to VCBR to show proof.
Our vision for a just future
1. Abolish pre-crime preventative detention laws
2. Free our friends and loved ones from dehumanizing labels
3. Realign our justice system with the values of restoration and reintegration
Just Future Project is a new initiative focused on challenging pre-crime preventative detention laws. We are a people-driven grassroots advocacy campaign dedicated to building a movement of community members demanding an end to indefinite detention regimes.
Why Is This Important?
Pre-crime preventative detention systems are a dangerous departure from the traditional values of our legal system.
We believe in justice, that persons who have caused harm may be held accountable for their actions. But justice also demands proportionality and due process, elements essential to distinguish justice from mere vengeance. The goal of any true system of justice must be restoration and re-integration, not the perpetual containment and incapacitation that have come to define the U.S. criminal legal system.
- In Memoriam: Lives Lost While Imprisoned After Their Release Date in Kansas on
- Texas Coronavirus Advocacy Letter to Gov. Abbott on
- Texas Uses Failed Private Prison to Hold Civilly Committed Sex Offenders on
- In Memoriam: Lives Lost While Imprisoned After Their Release Date in Illinois on
- Shadow Prisoner Stabbed 14 Times at VCBR Facility on