Do you care about criminal justice reform, LGBTQ+ rights, or racial justice? Would you like to spend your semester helping to animate a grassroots advocacy campaign and conduct research into the impact of Kafkaesque systems on arguably the most marginalized populations in the United States? Just Future Project is seeking a bright, driven, and conscientious intern to serve as an executive assistant to a directly-impacted leader in the field coordinating an active legislative campaign challenging pre-crime preventative detention laws in Virginia. The first bill in the country to abolish these laws is currently pending before the Virginia Senate (SB 1244). You will also help conduct research and develop materials…
Our vision for a just future
1. Abolish pre-crime preventative detention laws
2. Free our friends and loved ones from dehumanizing labels
3. Realign our justice system with the values of restoration and reintegration
Just Future Project is a new initiative focused on challenging pre-crime preventative detention laws. We are a people-driven grassroots advocacy campaign dedicated to building a movement of community members demanding an end to indefinite detention regimes.
Why Is This Important?
Pre-crime preventative detention systems are a dangerous departure from the traditional values of our legal system.
We believe in justice, that persons who have caused harm may be held accountable for their actions. But justice also demands proportionality and due process, elements essential to distinguish justice from mere vengeance. The goal of any true system of justice must be restoration and re-integration, not the perpetual containment and incapacitation that have come to define the U.S. criminal legal system.
- In Memoriam: Lives Lost While Imprisoned After Their Release Date in Kansas on
- Texas Coronavirus Advocacy Letter to Gov. Abbott on
- Texas Uses Failed Private Prison to Hold Civilly Committed Sex Offenders on
- In Memoriam: Lives Lost While Imprisoned After Their Release Date in Illinois on
- Shadow Prisoner Stabbed 14 Times at VCBR Facility on